Charlie meets the dentist...

WARNING**** graphic photo at the end of post!

My first #tinytongan ðŸ’™ 

My little buddy had a scary run in at the dentist today! He had to get his first filling ever, therefore was numb for the first time in his life. He did absolutely INCREDIBLE during his filling, which is every mommas biggest worry with dentist appointments! I should not have been nervous, considering how well he’s done since day one at the dentist, but I still was....

It wasn’t until after his filling was done, our visit turned bad. He was given a popsicle to suck on to help keep his hands out of his mouth and the cold helps him feel better! Well, I wasn’t allowed in the room the whole visit due to him has nitrous throughout and that being harmful to me while pregnant (could put me in labor). I sat in a chair just outside the room the whole procedure and was able to look through the door and see everything at anytime. At this point the door was open and I asked the nurse how long he’d continue the nitrous until we went home. Distracted, she didn’t give me much of an answer. So I sat down to wait for him to be done since I still want able to sit by him inside. About 5 minutes later I hear “oh no” and I of course turned to look in the room, finding Charlie with a handful of blood. I can’t see his mouth and instantly assume he’s messed with his filling or something. I said uhhh what happened? She said he bit his tongue. At this point I was already half way to him and not concerned about the nitrous any longer. I looked in his mouth for about a second and could say nothing but “OH SH**”. It was a sight I never expected and NEVER want to see again. My boy had bit so hard on his tongue, it was chunky ðŸ˜« She instantly starting putting gauze in his mouth to stop the bleeding and tried to get him to stop biting down. Called in the doctor who was with another patient and came in as soon as she could. I was furious, mortified, and felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to scoop him up and run away. I wanted Nu’u to walk in at that exact moment, so I could walk out before I said some horrific things. I felt too sick to yell or show my anger, plus I didn’t want to scare Charlie or make things worse than they were. And of course, the best part? He’s still numb!!! He had NO idea what he just did!! And, of course, it was one of the few times I’ve gone to doctor appointments without husband! So, I kept my composure, listened to what they told me to do once I left, and a little of what to expect. Doctor told me she’d call later to check in....so I was done. Paid my bill. And was out. 

Charlie was given gauze to keep in his mouth to keep clotting and to keep him from biting his teeth together. He didn't even attempt to move it the entire drive home! His doctor suggested staying at the hospital for a little bit and getting him a bite to eat before going home because kids are apparently known to bite even more in the car? But, I knew he'd be fine and it was a pretty short drive home. We loaded up in the car and headed home. He fell asleep just as we were pulling in but woke up enough to get him a new gauze and give him some Motrin. I knew his numbing would wear off while he napped and I wanted to get a head start on the pain! When he woke up his tongue already looked a lot better. But he was in so much pain. I was frustrated and recapping the visit in my head the entire time he was asleep. This absolutely could have been prevented, and it wasn't by me! The nurse was very distracted and not paying much attention to him. I had no choice but to be in the hallway and not be able to see him well enough to keep an eye on him.

Anyway, doctor called me a few hours later and I was very ready to voice my feelings about what happened and WHY! She informed me she had a conversation with that nurse the moment we had left the office, and after hearing even more from me, said she would be having another one with her as well. The tongue is a magic thing, and his already looks tons better. I can't believe it. I knew he would be resilient and be doing so good. He's talking a little funny and you can tell a little bothered, but overall he's okay! So thankful his bite didn't go through, and that he didn't need to get stitches. But don't you be fooled, I NEVER want to experience that again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Top Tips for Pregnancy Survival!

Breastfeeding Survival!